Saturday, June 23, 2012

Honey Bee


A honey cake for one of the sweetest little bees I know. This was a vanilla almond cake with a honey butter cream frosting. I used an 8'' pan and let the center bake to a mound. Usually I would cut off the mounded top and level the cake off, but for this cake I left it to give the beehive the dome effect. 

To create the beehive,  I first colored a tiny bit of frosting black and frosted a small section of the side of the cake. I then used a number 12 tip and piped a yellow ribbon of frosting in a circular motion all the way up and around the cake. I used the same tip to pipe the bees, I just added a little bit more yellow dye. To complete the bees I piped tiny black stripes and eyes with a number 3 tip. And last but not least I used a number 102 tip for the wings and flowers. 

Happy Birthday Day Natalie!


2 comments:

Mom said...

Oooooo. This cake is adorable. So "little girl" perfect and so "sweet". I love your imagination.

Kristina said...

I can't believe I forgot to post a HUGE thank for this DARLING cake. Seriously, it's so cute in pictures but even more adorable in person. I'm awed at your creativity and how you can dream up something like this and actually make it happen! I wouldn't have a clue. The bees were so intricate and perfectly placed. We all loved the cake, especially Natalie. Perfect cake for a little girl. It was SO sweet of you to make it and make the special delivery. :) Lauren is an amazing professional!