Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Mad Hatter




This cake was for my roommate's mad tea party birthday. She is a little mad in the best sort of way so this was the perfect cake for her. 

To create the hat I stacked 9", 8", and 6" cake rounds on top of each other and carved them down to get the tappered hat. I then rolled out foundant to create the rim. The 10/6 card is made of royal icing that I let dry and harder so that it would stand up and out away from the cake slightly. The tea cup and dormouse are also completely edible and molded out of dyed foundant. 

It looks relatively simple but you would be surprise how much time goes into even basic shapes and designs. I always know when the cake is finished becuase I start involuntarily jumping up and down and yelling, "AHHH! I love it, love it! EHHH!" Haha. There is nothing better than a finished cake that turns out just how you imagined. 

2 comments:

Camille said...

WOWOWOW!! You are amazingly talented!!

Mom said...

Seriously, Lauren! This is such a cool cake! It's like we're at Alice's tea party. How you thunk up how to create it is beyond me. Keep the creative juices flowing for your next awesome creation.