Saturday, September 08, 2012

Under the Sea


Jenni saw me doodling this cake on the corner of a piece of paper and decided it was just what she wanted for her birthday. 

To mimic the deepening blue of an ocean as you travel from the surface to the ocean floor where the coral is I used an ombre blue color scheme. I started at the top with white frosting and gradually added more blue tint and I worked my way down. 

To create the coral, I tinted frosting yellow and orange and swirled it together in a pipping bag. I then pipped thick lines up the side of the cake to mimic the shape and forms of coral. Then I added pink and purple tinted frosting to the bag and with a small writing tip piped over the orange lines. All together the texture and color of the frosting made the coral pop in this under the sea themed cake. 

2 comments:

Mom said...

where do you get these ideas of "how to's"? Outta your head or outta the internet? I expect to see a mermaid swim by in this pic. :)

Kristina said...

Love the colors! And it totally looks like coral! You're so smart.